Damn, times have changed—once largely chained to a certain image of ‘hood masculinity, hip-hop has evolved to the point where an up-and-coming rapper can walk into Starbucks wearing skinny jeans and a pink button-up, order a “half caff skinny macchiato.” and sit down to talk Sex and the City with his girl, and (almost) no one will bat an eye. Few emcees embody this shift in the zeitgeist like D-Why, whose debut single/music video, Macchiato Music (premiered earlier this week via MTVu), finds him describing his ideal woman as he strolls Venice in a spotless white sport coat (complete with pocket square). Backed by T-Minus understated keys and syncopated percussion, the up-and-coming rhymesayer paints a lyrical portrait of feminine perfection: she’s got the body of a Barbie, appreciates classic reggae, owns an Italian sports car –hell, “...even her period comes fashionably late.” If you fit that description, you should probably friend D-Why on Facebook. If you don’t, you can still keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes leading up to the release of his yet-unscheduled new mixtape, Don’t Flatter Yourself.
Written by richard on 03/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Animal (Unofficial Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.