Damn, times have changed—once largely chained to a certain image of ‘hood masculinity, hip-hop has evolved to the point where an up-and-coming rapper can walk into Starbucks wearing skinny jeans and a pink button-up, order a “half caff skinny macchiato.” and sit down to talk Sex and the City with his girl, and (almost) no one will bat an eye. Few emcees embody this shift in the zeitgeist like D-Why, whose debut single/music video, Macchiato Music (premiered earlier this week via MTVu), finds him describing his ideal woman as he strolls Venice in a spotless white sport coat (complete with pocket square). Backed by T-Minus understated keys and syncopated percussion, the up-and-coming rhymesayer paints a lyrical portrait of feminine perfection: she’s got the body of a Barbie, appreciates classic reggae, owns an Italian sports car –hell, “...even her period comes fashionably late.” If you fit that description, you should probably friend D-Why on Facebook. If you don’t, you can still keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes leading up to the release of his yet-unscheduled new mixtape, Don’t Flatter Yourself.
Written by richard on 03/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Animal (Unofficial Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.