Damn, times have changed—once largely chained to a certain image of ‘hood masculinity, hip-hop has evolved to the point where an up-and-coming rapper can walk into Starbucks wearing skinny jeans and a pink button-up, order a “half caff skinny macchiato.” and sit down to talk Sex and the City with his girl, and (almost) no one will bat an eye. Few emcees embody this shift in the zeitgeist like D-Why, whose debut single/music video, Macchiato Music (premiered earlier this week via MTVu), finds him describing his ideal woman as he strolls Venice in a spotless white sport coat (complete with pocket square). Backed by T-Minus understated keys and syncopated percussion, the up-and-coming rhymesayer paints a lyrical portrait of feminine perfection: she’s got the body of a Barbie, appreciates classic reggae, owns an Italian sports car –hell, “...even her period comes fashionably late.” If you fit that description, you should probably friend D-Why on Facebook. If you don’t, you can still keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes leading up to the release of his yet-unscheduled new mixtape, Don’t Flatter Yourself.
Written by richard on 03/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Animal (Unofficial Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)