Don’t let the modest title of Cypress Hill‘s newly-released lead single fool you – for fans of West Coast hip-hop, the Southgate, California foursome’s first album since 2004’s Till Death Do Us Part LP is most definitely something to celebrate. On It Ain’t Nothin’, B-Real, Sen Dog, DJ Muggs and Eric Bobo fill inquiring minds in on what it takes to roll with their crew: “You gotta get your straps up, you gotta get your stash up, you gotta get amped up… If you wanna run with the dog, get your cash up.” Backed by the stark, percussion-driven chopped-sample production of headlining member B-Real, Cypress Hill take down the fakes, snakes and haters in verses dripping with unfiltered lyrical aggression. Is It Ain’t Nothing a promising beginning to the Left Coast veterans’ comeback? As always, I’ll let Booth readers decide. In any case, fans of the Hill will be able to find plenty more hot rhymes and old school-informed grooves on their Rise Up LP, scheduled to drop March 2, via EMI/Priority Records.
Written by richard on 01/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Armada Latina" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.