Pronounced “sign,” Gainesville hip-hop trio CYNE‘s collective stage name is an initialism for “Cultivating Your New Experience.” Be that as may, their debut DJBooth feature is less concerned with the future than with the past—specifically, the ‘80s and early ‘90s. On new single Avians, the crew’s own sunny sample work sets the mood as Cise Star, Enoch and Speck take listeners on a trip down Memory Lane, name-dropping the pop-cultural touchstones that made their childhoods great. Eighties babies are sure to experience a rush of nostalgia as the emcees revisit their youthful crushes on Topanga Lawrence and Winnie Cooper and shout-out the original Robocop. (They also sneak in a reference to 1964 Kubrick flick Dr. Strangelove, just to keep us on our toes.) Like what you’re hearing? Then mark your calendars for the March 18, release of the crew’s sixth independent full-length, All My Angles Are Right.
Written by richard on 02/20/14
Hip-hop trio CYNE, who call both Gainesville, Florida, and Portland, Oregon home, has come together with The DJBooth to bring listeners a stream and direct purchase of their latest digital full-length, All My Angles Are...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.