There are few (if any) forces that hold more power over the human psyche as nostalgia. Don’t take it from me, though – take it from Booth newcomer Cutlass Reid, whose latest feature finds him looking back on an impoverished childhood through its rosy glow. Inspired by the memory of his grandmother’s Cheese Eggs & Grits, the Norfolk, Virginia native proceeds to lace Johnathan Dugger bittersweet, piano-led beat with fond reminiscences on, well, everything – “dirt bike races,” candy from the corner store, Notorious B.I.G., even the “crackhead Lionel… tryin’ to sell that Playstation with no controllers.” On the back end, Money Making Jam Boy Truck North grabs the mic to revisit his days “in the crib playin’ Mario and Battletoads, rappin’ De La Soul into my Mr. Microphone,” before jumping forward to his discovery of the fairer sex. Has this gritty yet warm foray down Memory Lane left you craving more from Cutlass Reid? You’re in luck; the emcee’s latest street album, the Booth-hosted One Day at a Time, will hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download later this month.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.