There are few (if any) forces that hold more power over the human psyche as nostalgia. Don’t take it from me, though – take it from Booth newcomer Cutlass Reid, whose latest feature finds him looking back on an impoverished childhood through its rosy glow. Inspired by the memory of his grandmother’s Cheese Eggs & Grits, the Norfolk, Virginia native proceeds to lace Johnathan Dugger bittersweet, piano-led beat with fond reminiscences on, well, everything – “dirt bike races,” candy from the corner store, Notorious B.I.G., even the “crackhead Lionel… tryin’ to sell that Playstation with no controllers.” On the back end, Money Making Jam Boy Truck North grabs the mic to revisit his days “in the crib playin’ Mario and Battletoads, rappin’ De La Soul into my Mr. Microphone,” before jumping forward to his discovery of the fairer sex. Has this gritty yet warm foray down Memory Lane left you craving more from Cutlass Reid? You’re in luck; the emcee’s latest street album, the Booth-hosted One Day at a Time, will hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download later this month.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.