There are few (if any) forces that hold more power over the human psyche as nostalgia. Don’t take it from me, though – take it from Booth newcomer Cutlass Reid, whose latest feature finds him looking back on an impoverished childhood through its rosy glow. Inspired by the memory of his grandmother’s Cheese Eggs & Grits, the Norfolk, Virginia native proceeds to lace Johnathan Dugger bittersweet, piano-led beat with fond reminiscences on, well, everything – “dirt bike races,” candy from the corner store, Notorious B.I.G., even the “crackhead Lionel… tryin’ to sell that Playstation with no controllers.” On the back end, Money Making Jam Boy Truck North grabs the mic to revisit his days “in the crib playin’ Mario and Battletoads, rappin’ De La Soul into my Mr. Microphone,” before jumping forward to his discovery of the fairer sex. Has this gritty yet warm foray down Memory Lane left you craving more from Cutlass Reid? You’re in luck; the emcee’s latest street album, the Booth-hosted One Day at a Time, will hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download later this month.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.