There are few (if any) forces that hold more power over the human psyche as nostalgia. Don’t take it from me, though – take it from Booth newcomer Cutlass Reid, whose latest feature finds him looking back on an impoverished childhood through its rosy glow. Inspired by the memory of his grandmother’s Cheese Eggs & Grits, the Norfolk, Virginia native proceeds to lace Johnathan Dugger bittersweet, piano-led beat with fond reminiscences on, well, everything – “dirt bike races,” candy from the corner store, Notorious B.I.G., even the “crackhead Lionel… tryin’ to sell that Playstation with no controllers.” On the back end, Money Making Jam Boy Truck North grabs the mic to revisit his days “in the crib playin’ Mario and Battletoads, rappin’ De La Soul into my Mr. Microphone,” before jumping forward to his discovery of the fairer sex. Has this gritty yet warm foray down Memory Lane left you craving more from Cutlass Reid? You’re in luck; the emcee’s latest street album, the Booth-hosted One Day at a Time, will hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download later this month.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)