Not everyone can be a social butterfly; those determined to march to the beat of their own drummers are often content with A Few Friends tuned into their wavelength. Such is apparently the case with Bluff, Element, Scoobs and Six of Custom Made, a Los Angeles foursome who, true to their collective name, come with a sound that doesn’t quite fit the mold. At first listen, the most striking facet of the group’s first Booth feature is Chris “THX” Goodman’s instrumental, which establishes a darkly catchy lo-fi groove by way of a few unique samples and provides an intriguingly off-kilter accompaniment to the emcees’ aggressive underground rhymes. The choice to forgo the traditional hook in favor of off-the-cuff spoken-word samples adds to the cut’s rough feel, but the first speaker says it best: “F*ck keeping it real, keep it raw… when you’re damn raw you know what you’re dealing with, so anything out the ordinary, it ain’t out the ordinary.” A Few Friends can be found on forthcoming street album The Lost Weekend, a compilation of tracks recorded during the sessions for ‘07 mixtape Truth Be Told.
Listen to More: Custom Made
Written by richard on 05/5/09
Custom Made Recordings
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.