Not everyone can be a social butterfly; those determined to march to the beat of their own drummers are often content with A Few Friends tuned into their wavelength. Such is apparently the case with Bluff, Element, Scoobs and Six of Custom Made, a Los Angeles foursome who, true to their collective name, come with a sound that doesn’t quite fit the mold. At first listen, the most striking facet of the group’s first Booth feature is Chris “THX” Goodman’s instrumental, which establishes a darkly catchy lo-fi groove by way of a few unique samples and provides an intriguingly off-kilter accompaniment to the emcees’ aggressive underground rhymes. The choice to forgo the traditional hook in favor of off-the-cuff spoken-word samples adds to the cut’s rough feel, but the first speaker says it best: “F*ck keeping it real, keep it raw… when you’re damn raw you know what you’re dealing with, so anything out the ordinary, it ain’t out the ordinary.” A Few Friends can be found on forthcoming street album The Lost Weekend, a compilation of tracks recorded during the sessions for ‘07 mixtape Truth Be Told.
Written by richard on 05/5/09
Submit your Rating
Custom Made Recordings
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)