I usually try to balance out these write-ups, offering equal parts positive, negative and neutral commentary, but not today. Instead, here’s a list of things I dig about Curtiss Kings’ PCC (Pumas, Cubs & Cougars). First, if more producers used Janet Jackson samples, particularly I Get Lonely samples, the world would be a better place. Backing that sample with some hypnotic percussion and booming bass isn’t a bad idea either. Second, hilarious concept. Like Curtiss I’m getting up there in years and emotionally needy, immature young girls (cubs) are far more frustrating than enticing. Third, the Inland Empire emcee also works in some pretty nice and equally entertaining lines, in particular I’d point to, “She smoke green and got a crusher that will (break it down) / I smoke green on occasion…that day is now.” And last but certainly not least, I can’t be absolutely sure, but I’m willing to bet PCC contains the first Demi Moore and Sandra Bullock shout outs in hip-hop history. For more openly honest and entertaining hip-hop be sure to check out King’s new D.I.Y. album, available now and presented by DJBooth’s homegirl AshleyOutrageous.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/13/11
Submit your Rating
Black Cloud Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ren & Stimpy" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.