For a stoner Currens$y sure does work a lot. Coming close on the heels of his Covert Coup mixtape, which I have to say opened my eyes to the former Young Money emcee’s skills, the leader of the Jets releases new single She Don’t Want a Man, a typically hazy sounding joint that’s actually anything but typical. Those who think of Curren$y as “just” a weed rapper will find themselves surprised at the depth of his lyrical work here and the New Orleans native delivers a tale of a woman who seems like she has it all, but really has nothing: “She was a little red Corvette / fast as hell turning heads on the set.” That kind of narration, paired with Monsta Beatz decidedly non-monstrous, gauzy and smoky beat means that She Don’t Want demands at least one repeat listen. But don’t take my word for it, press play yourself, get to commenting below and keep an eye out for Curren$y’s upcoming, hilariously titled album Weekend at Burnie’s, due to drop June 28 (pre-order here) via Jets Intl and Warner Bros. Records.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/2/11
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My House ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.