When you’ve got a dollar sign in your name you can’t be shy about the fame and fortune, and with a name like Monsta Beatz you can’t be shy about in-your-face production, so what’s surprising about Curren$y and Monsta Beatz’ new record isn’t that it’s titled Famous, but how subdued the record is. Here the New Orleans based Monsta Beatz crafted a slowly spinning beat that prominently features a smooth jazz horn and hypnotically deep bass, a combination that sounds like it could have come off an old-school Sade record, while Curren$y drops an engaging but supremely laid-back flow – maybe the man’s still got a contact high from appearing on Fat Raps: “Rose in the glasses, get the weed out the plastic.” Hey, even the rich and famous need to relax, and when they do, I bet they throw on music like this. Famous is part of Monsta Beatz’ latest project Monsta Beatz Present: Monster on Mars, available online now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My House ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)