When you’ve got a dollar sign in your name you can’t be shy about the fame and fortune, and with a name like Monsta Beatz you can’t be shy about in-your-face production, so what’s surprising about Curren$y and Monsta Beatz’ new record isn’t that it’s titled Famous, but how subdued the record is. Here the New Orleans based Monsta Beatz crafted a slowly spinning beat that prominently features a smooth jazz horn and hypnotically deep bass, a combination that sounds like it could have come off an old-school Sade record, while Curren$y drops an engaging but supremely laid-back flow – maybe the man’s still got a contact high from appearing on Fat Raps: “Rose in the glasses, get the weed out the plastic.” Hey, even the rich and famous need to relax, and when they do, I bet they throw on music like this. Famous is part of Monsta Beatz’ latest project Monsta Beatz Present: Monster on Mars, available online now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/13/09
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My House ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.