When you’ve got a dollar sign in your name you can’t be shy about the fame and fortune, and with a name like Monsta Beatz you can’t be shy about in-your-face production, so what’s surprising about Curren$y and Monsta Beatz’ new record isn’t that it’s titled Famous, but how subdued the record is. Here the New Orleans based Monsta Beatz crafted a slowly spinning beat that prominently features a smooth jazz horn and hypnotically deep bass, a combination that sounds like it could have come off an old-school Sade record, while Curren$y drops an engaging but supremely laid-back flow – maybe the man’s still got a contact high from appearing on Fat Raps: “Rose in the glasses, get the weed out the plastic.” Hey, even the rich and famous need to relax, and when they do, I bet they throw on music like this. Famous is part of Monsta Beatz’ latest project Monsta Beatz Present: Monster on Mars, available online now.
Listen to More: Curren$y
Written by Nathan S. on 12/13/09
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My House ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.