For youth of color growing up in a majority white society, life presents a constant dilemma: emulate the dominant culture and lose the respect of your homies, or keep it real and damage your chances of success beyond the hood. On his debut DJBooth feature, making its world premiere on our pages, Philly rhymesayer Curly Castro dramatizes his struggle with these paradoxical demands, revisiting a childhood split along color lines over Georgia Anne Muldrow‘s slow-rolling, handclap-heavy production. NYC rapper/producer Has-Lo guests on the front, spitting about his own experiences as a grade-schooler torn between his “all-white classmates” and an “all-black home life.” This incisive cut is just one of many quality jams set for inclusion on free mixtape FIDEL, scheduled to drop February 19, via Man Bites Dog Records.
Man Bites Dog Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Call Me Castro" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!