Derived from the Greek oneiros, the title of the CunninLynguists’ forthcoming full-length translates into English as “the study of dreams.” Which, along with being an excuse to shamelessly show off my word-knowledge, ties in perfectly with the Kentucky natives’ latest single – a joint that addresses the topic of dreams (as in ambitions), in a fittingly dream-like (as in trippy) fashion. Stars Shine Brightest (In the Darkest of Night) finds Kno handling production duties, blending electric guitar licks and atmospheric synths into an ideal soundtrack for exploration of both inner and outer-space. The rapper-producer and his crewmates, Deacon the Villain and Natti, come with lyrical meditations to match the beat’s out-of-this-world vibe, expressing their positive life philosophy by way of celestial imagery: “No astronomer has seen your incredible gleam, and you don’t need a telescope to detect dreams.” Apologies in advance for the terrible pun, but is this joint as stellar as its title suggests? If you’re digging it, more awaits on the ‘Lynguists Oneirology LP, scheduled to hit stores March 22.
Written by richard on 02/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Georgia (Remix) ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.