If the Cunninlynguists and Freddie Gibbs were a drug, they’d be crack cocaine; if they were a mineral substance they’d be lonsdaleite; if they were an NES game, they’d be Battletoads. In other words, the Kentucky mainstays and their Gary, Indiana-repping collaborator are as Hard as They Come. The second single off the ‘lynguists senior set (and Act 1 of a two-part drama), this joint sees the crew balancing the spacey ambiance of Stars Shine Brightest with a little hard-nosed aggression. Over Kno‘s pensive beat, a gritty blend of overdriven bass, piano, and soulful backing vocals, the rapper/producer and his crewmates unload their most potent lyrical artillery. The targets of their blitzkrieg? Well, when they’re not lashing out at anonymous rivals and snitches, they turn their guns on the powers that be: “Uncle Sam f*cks the poor and it’s making ‘em sick.” As for Gibbs, the Booth fave arguably steals the show, showcasing his virtuosic flows and his bleak insight into the streets on verse two. Time for you to weigh: did the Cunninlynguists “kill it” with this one? Those leaning towards the affirmative will find more to like on their latest LP, set to drop March 22.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Georgia (Remix) ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.