If the Cunninlynguists and Freddie Gibbs were a drug, they’d be crack cocaine; if they were a mineral substance they’d be lonsdaleite; if they were an NES game, they’d be Battletoads. In other words, the Kentucky mainstays and their Gary, Indiana-repping collaborator are as Hard as They Come. The second single off the ‘lynguists senior set (and Act 1 of a two-part drama), this joint sees the crew balancing the spacey ambiance of Stars Shine Brightest with a little hard-nosed aggression. Over Kno‘s pensive beat, a gritty blend of overdriven bass, piano, and soulful backing vocals, the rapper/producer and his crewmates unload their most potent lyrical artillery. The targets of their blitzkrieg? Well, when they’re not lashing out at anonymous rivals and snitches, they turn their guns on the powers that be: “Uncle Sam f*cks the poor and it’s making ‘em sick.” As for Gibbs, the Booth fave arguably steals the show, showcasing his virtuosic flows and his bleak insight into the streets on verse two. Time for you to weigh: did the Cunninlynguists “kill it” with this one? Those leaning towards the affirmative will find more to like on their latest LP, set to drop March 22.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Georgia (Remix) ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.