If the Cunninlynguists and Freddie Gibbs were a drug, they’d be crack cocaine; if they were a mineral substance they’d be lonsdaleite; if they were an NES game, they’d be Battletoads. In other words, the Kentucky mainstays and their Gary, Indiana-repping collaborator are as Hard as They Come. The second single off the ‘lynguists senior set (and Act 1 of a two-part drama), this joint sees the crew balancing the spacey ambiance of Stars Shine Brightest with a little hard-nosed aggression. Over Kno‘s pensive beat, a gritty blend of overdriven bass, piano, and soulful backing vocals, the rapper/producer and his crewmates unload their most potent lyrical artillery. The targets of their blitzkrieg? Well, when they’re not lashing out at anonymous rivals and snitches, they turn their guns on the powers that be: “Uncle Sam f*cks the poor and it’s making ‘em sick.” As for Gibbs, the Booth fave arguably steals the show, showcasing his virtuosic flows and his bleak insight into the streets on verse two. Time for you to weigh: did the Cunninlynguists “kill it” with this one? Those leaning towards the affirmative will find more to like on their latest LP, set to drop March 22.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Georgia (Remix) ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.