If the Cunninlynguists and Freddie Gibbs were a drug, they’d be crack cocaine; if they were a mineral substance they’d be lonsdaleite; if they were an NES game, they’d be Battletoads. In other words, the Kentucky mainstays and their Gary, Indiana-repping collaborator are as Hard as They Come. The second single off the ‘lynguists senior set (and Act 1 of a two-part drama), this joint sees the crew balancing the spacey ambiance of Stars Shine Brightest with a little hard-nosed aggression. Over Kno‘s pensive beat, a gritty blend of overdriven bass, piano, and soulful backing vocals, the rapper/producer and his crewmates unload their most potent lyrical artillery. The targets of their blitzkrieg? Well, when they’re not lashing out at anonymous rivals and snitches, they turn their guns on the powers that be: “Uncle Sam f*cks the poor and it’s making ‘em sick.” As for Gibbs, the Booth fave arguably steals the show, showcasing his virtuosic flows and his bleak insight into the streets on verse two. Time for you to weigh: did the Cunninlynguists “kill it” with this one? Those leaning towards the affirmative will find more to like on their latest LP, set to drop March 22.
Written by richard on 03/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Georgia (Remix) ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.