One of the first to utilize a weekly series, a marketing tool that’s now become overwhelmingly popular, Crooked I has built a foundation that established him as a west coast godfather and one-quarter of rap supergroup Slaughterhouse’. Crooked’s now continuing to build on that foundation with his new single, Villain, off of his upcoming album, Million Dollar Story (which currently has no release date). With producer Komplex providing an uptempo and grungy beat that runs the spectrum from piano melodies to beatboxing, Crooked runs rampant on the song as he insists that he’s done with being the Villain, both literally and metaphorically. Facing down the everyday struggles that have kept him down over the years, Crooked discusses topics such as growing up on welfare and everyone’s toughest challenge, fighting your inner demons and doubts. Even better, enlisting Sally Anthony to sing the chorus turns out to provide a perfect balance as she serves as a calming balance between Komplex’s keys and Crooked’s rapid-fire spitting. Overall, there’s no doubt that Crook scores a win as he provides us with a head-nodding song with some serious meaning. Props.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/5/10
Submit your Rating
Treacherous/Dynasty Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.