Listening to Crooked I is little like having your grey matter pummeled by a heavyweight boxer with gloves made of sheer lyrical excellence. In other words, it’s definitely Not for the Weak Minded. Those of y’all who have been doing your mental push-ups, however, will find a lot to like about the Long Beach mainstay’s latest feature, the tagless version of a joint off DJs Whoo Kid, Skee and MLK‘s latest compilation. Here, beatsmith Jonathan Elkaer‘s ominous synth-percussion grooves set the mood as Crook lets loose at the competition, deftly incorporating double-time flows into his verbal onslaught. On the back, Snow Tha Product vents her spleen at femcees who owe their fame more to their physical assets than their mic skills: “Yes, I am tired of all you sl*ts / That been comin’ in the game ‘cause you bought your butts.” Feeling it? You can find Not for the Weak Minded and much more on the aforementioned SXEW Volume 2 tape, released to the ‘net in advance of this month’s SXSW festivities.
Written by richard on 03/18/14
Submit your Rating
Treacherous/Dynasty Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.