I haven’t met him, but I’d wager that, by day, Dominick “Crooked I” Wickliffe is one of the most pleasant people you could ever meet. My reasoning? Only an exceptionally good-natured individual would feel the urge to invent a split personality as vicious as the Long Beach mainstay’s porcine-pussed, gun-toting alter-ego. On unreleased cut Mr. Porter Meets Mr. Pigface, we get to hear the Hyde to the Slaughterhouse emcee’s Jekyll take center stage over the retro-infomed production of his fellow Shady affiliate. Denaun Porter keeps things surprisingly chill, mixing synth pads and understated (yet bass-heavy) percussion in a manner evoking mid-90’s West Coast music at its mellowest; the laid-back instrumental, however, only accentuates the witty brutality of Crook’s rhymes: “What started out as a simple car ride became a drive-by / Divided your black ass from your white meat like apartheid, die hogtied.” This joint isn’t set for inclusion on Crooked I’s forthcoming EP, Million Dollar Story, but those who like what they’re hearing can look forward to more Pigface/Porter collabs on the yet-unscheduled project.
Written by richard on 07/12/11
Submit your Rating
Treacherous/Dynasty Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.