Let’s be honest. If Slaughterhouse was The Three Tenors, west coast veteran Crooked I would be José Carreras, the equally talented but sometimes overlooked member of the group. While Crook doesn’t display the same antics that garner Budden and Royce headlines, he’s proven time and time again that he belongs among rap’s elite, most recently with No Competition and now with Diamond in the Back. An homage of sorts to William Devaugn’s classic of the same name (which Ludacris also took a shot at), Diamond in the Back finds producer Tito Ali keeping the original’s smooth soul sound backed by some sharp hip-hop percussion. With fellow Treacherous Records crooner K-Young smoothing things out on the hook, Crooked uses his verses to remind listeners just how much distance there is between rap’s real emcees and the pretenders: “Tell the truth / before the album dropped was you a boss? / say yeah that’s as foolish as a Jewish cross / you don’t even believe it.” I think we can count on Crooked to continue to distinguish himself from the pack when his new EP, In None We Trust, drops this coming Tuesday, December 13.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/7/11
Submit your Rating
Treacherous/Dynasty Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.