Don’t worry, Crooked I hasn’t gone all T-Pain on us. While Let Me Buy You a Drink finds the Cali mainstay showcasing a different side of his persona than fans may be used to, it’s… well… a different different side than the title might lead you to expect. Here, the Slaughterhouse emcee emerges as a masterful storyteller. Backed by the subdued production of Danish crew TABU, the rapper steps into the shoes of a drug pusher whose girl left him after learning that he’d cheated, taking the kids with her – and thanks to his occupation, any effort to gain custody would, of course, land him in jail. As it turns out, the woman to whom he’s pouring out his heart has a dilemma of her own: as Crook explains on verse two, she’s struggling with whether to tell her fiancée that she’s pregnant with another man’s child. Topped off with the silky-smooth hook vocals of singer/songwriter Vaughn Anthony, this cut doesn’t offer much in the way of happy endings, but there’s no denying its cathartic appeal. Fans can find this joint, along with some lighter fare, on Crook’s Planet C.O.B Vol.1 , released yesterday and available for purchase online.
Written by richard on 08/18/10
Treacherous/Dynasty Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Dreams (WC Monster Remix) ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)