If you’re anything like me, your initial reaction to Cris Cab‘s latest feature will be something like, “Hold up… didn’t he learn not to run around behind his girl’s last year, when the same damn thing happened?” Happily, no; rather than a fresh account of infidelity, Good Girls (Don’t Grow on Trees) is a spruced-up version of Good Girls, a promo single that originally hit our front page back in spring 2011. While the overall theme, tune and structure of the Pharrell Williams-cowritten cut are retained, each element of the song has been tweaked for maximum impact. Originally on the mellow side, the record gets a shot of adrenaline courtesy of Wyclef Jean, who fortifies his original beat with a substantially stronger rhythm section, an expanded chorus arrangement and a string-fortified bridge. The other big addition to the record is G.O.O.D. Music spitter Big Sean, who tries to smooth-talk his way out of the situation in a breezy guest verse (“I know I don’t deserve the Nobel Peace, but damn, I don’t deserve the go-to-hell speech.”), as well as adding to the catchiness with ad-libs throughout. Has Cris Cab succeeded in elevating the already-acclaimed jam into a surefire smash? As always, readers get the final say. Either way, keep your browsers locked to our pages for all the latest from the Miami-repping pop wunderkind.
Written by richard on 06/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.