If you’re anything like me, your initial reaction to Cris Cab‘s latest feature will be something like, “Hold up… didn’t he learn not to run around behind his girl’s last year, when the same damn thing happened?” Happily, no; rather than a fresh account of infidelity, Good Girls (Don’t Grow on Trees) is a spruced-up version of Good Girls, a promo single that originally hit our front page back in spring 2011. While the overall theme, tune and structure of the Pharrell Williams-cowritten cut are retained, each element of the song has been tweaked for maximum impact. Originally on the mellow side, the record gets a shot of adrenaline courtesy of Wyclef Jean, who fortifies his original beat with a substantially stronger rhythm section, an expanded chorus arrangement and a string-fortified bridge. The other big addition to the record is G.O.O.D. Music spitter Big Sean, who tries to smooth-talk his way out of the situation in a breezy guest verse (“I know I don’t deserve the Nobel Peace, but damn, I don’t deserve the go-to-hell speech.”), as well as adding to the catchiness with ad-libs throughout. Has Cris Cab succeeded in elevating the already-acclaimed jam into a surefire smash? As always, readers get the final say. Either way, keep your browsers locked to our pages for all the latest from the Miami-repping pop wunderkind.
Written by richard on 06/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.