You know how they say that truth is stranger than fiction? Well, as far as emcee Costell‘s retirement is concerned, the cliché couldn’t be more accurate. According to beatsmith Sean Ross, the Queens native has decided to leave the game because, and I quote, “...he got into philosophy and is in the process of writing a book on the meaning of life.” Before bidding rap adieu, however, he’s got one last street album for his loyal fans. Making its world premiere on our front page, the inaugural leak off what will be the rapper’s final release finds him gazing “Out My Window” on a rainy day. Flowing over Ross’ alternately funky and pensive sampled beat, Costell watches the airplanes soaring by, and ponders the possibility of traveling far away: “Do you believe in fate? My city got so much pain it makes me wanna leave the state / fly around in a private jet, thinkin’ where I’m gonna land next.” Though it’s anyone’s guess where the artist’s journey will ultimately take him, fans who’d like to be there to wish him bon voyage can do so this summer, when his ELO mixtape arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 01/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Timeless (Intro)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.