You know how they say that truth is stranger than fiction? Well, as far as emcee Costell‘s retirement is concerned, the cliché couldn’t be more accurate. According to beatsmith Sean Ross, the Queens native has decided to leave the game because, and I quote, “...he got into philosophy and is in the process of writing a book on the meaning of life.” Before bidding rap adieu, however, he’s got one last street album for his loyal fans. Making its world premiere on our front page, the inaugural leak off what will be the rapper’s final release finds him gazing “Out My Window” on a rainy day. Flowing over Ross’ alternately funky and pensive sampled beat, Costell watches the airplanes soaring by, and ponders the possibility of traveling far away: “Do you believe in fate? My city got so much pain it makes me wanna leave the state / fly around in a private jet, thinkin’ where I’m gonna land next.” Though it’s anyone’s guess where the artist’s journey will ultimately take him, fans who’d like to be there to wish him bon voyage can do so this summer, when his ELO mixtape arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 01/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Timeless (Intro)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.