This may be the first you’ve heard of Costell but, if his first Booth feature is to be believed, it won’t be the last – not by a long shot. On the intro track off his forthcoming full-length, the Queens native lets listeners know just how high he has his sights set: he aspires to create nothing less than Timeless, classic tunes. Over Sean Ross’ exultant, retro-informed chopped-soul-sample instrumental, the emcee elaborates on his musical M.O., mixing confident braggadocio (“I most certainly deserve to be in everybody’s top three or top one / Survival of the fittest, We’re gods where I’m from”) with real talk (“Ever since I was eight-years-old I wanted to be a rapper; now I wanna be an artist.). This cut offers a compelling look into Costell’s head, to be sure, but does it live up to the lofty promise of its title? That’s a tall order but, if you think it comes close, you won’t want to miss the future classics the emcee will showcase on his forthcoming album. Produced entirely by Sean Ross, ELO is set to drop sometime this fall. In the meantime, of course, you can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest and greatest tunes.
Written by richard on 03/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Have a Theory" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.