This may be the first you’ve heard of Costell but, if his first Booth feature is to be believed, it won’t be the last – not by a long shot. On the intro track off his forthcoming full-length, the Queens native lets listeners know just how high he has his sights set: he aspires to create nothing less than Timeless, classic tunes. Over Sean Ross’ exultant, retro-informed chopped-soul-sample instrumental, the emcee elaborates on his musical M.O., mixing confident braggadocio (“I most certainly deserve to be in everybody’s top three or top one / Survival of the fittest, We’re gods where I’m from”) with real talk (“Ever since I was eight-years-old I wanted to be a rapper; now I wanna be an artist.). This cut offers a compelling look into Costell’s head, to be sure, but does it live up to the lofty promise of its title? That’s a tall order but, if you think it comes close, you won’t want to miss the future classics the emcee will showcase on his forthcoming album. Produced entirely by Sean Ross, ELO is set to drop sometime this fall. In the meantime, of course, you can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest and greatest tunes.
Listen to More: Costell
Written by richard on 03/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Have a Theory" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.