This may be the first you’ve heard of Costell but, if his first Booth feature is to be believed, it won’t be the last – not by a long shot. On the intro track off his forthcoming full-length, the Queens native lets listeners know just how high he has his sights set: he aspires to create nothing less than Timeless, classic tunes. Over Sean Ross’ exultant, retro-informed chopped-soul-sample instrumental, the emcee elaborates on his musical M.O., mixing confident braggadocio (“I most certainly deserve to be in everybody’s top three or top one / Survival of the fittest, We’re gods where I’m from”) with real talk (“Ever since I was eight-years-old I wanted to be a rapper; now I wanna be an artist.). This cut offers a compelling look into Costell’s head, to be sure, but does it live up to the lofty promise of its title? That’s a tall order but, if you think it comes close, you won’t want to miss the future classics the emcee will showcase on his forthcoming album. Produced entirely by Sean Ross, ELO is set to drop sometime this fall. In the meantime, of course, you can keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest and greatest tunes.
Listen to More: Costell
Written by richard on 03/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Have a Theory" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)