Self-deception gets a bad rap but, the way I see it it, a little delusion can be a powerful motivator—how many legitimately dope rappers would never have picked up the mic if it weren’t for their naive fantasies of fame, fortune and constant, fawning attention from the opposite sex? For those too clear-sighted to pull the wool over the eyes, things get considerably more complicated. Case in point: L.A. repper Co$$, whose latest single finds him unraveling the contradictions involved in chasing after a vision of success that exists “ Only When I Dream.” Backed by Chief‘s hazy synths, laid-back percussion and understated piano loops, the freestyle alum drops dense, poetic bars, shaking his eyes at those who can’t see the truth behind the game’s glossy exterior: ”The stock market’s plummetin’, plunderin’ all my passion / while you n*ggas dream about whips I catch the lashes from the mental masters.” BK repper Sene provides moral support on the middle, serving up a 16 brimming with metaphysical lyrical poetry, and Aloe Blacc ties it all together with a smooth hook. Has this reflective banger left you craving more? You’ll find what you seek on Co$$’ debut full-length, Before I Awoke, due out June 21.
Written by richard on 06/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Time Is Now" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)