For adherents of many faiths, life is a precarious tightrope-walk between the heavens above and the fallen world beneath; one must be watchful at all times, lest one tumble into the mire. Similarly, rappers walk a fine line between their artistic vision and the commodified world of the music game. On album leak Angels Sing, making its world premiere in the Booth, Co$$ and a few equally devout spitters come together to reaffirm their commitment to their musical and spiritual principles. Abnormal sets the mood for metaphysical wisdom-dropping on the production tip, layering swirling synths over an understated rhythm section as the Cali repper delivers his uplifting bars. L.A. Riot emcee Thurz and ATL newcomer J. Nolan guest, lacing the record’s latter verses with (respectively) polysyllabically-rhymed poetry (“I’m honorable like Elijah Mohammed on a rendez-vous…”) and gnomic wisdom (“No matter how fast the hype try to run past you, the wise know the real always run faster.”). Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Co$$’ Instrument of Emotion LP, hitting the artist’s Bandcamp page for purchase on Tuesday.
Written by richard on 12/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Time Is Now" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.