I know what you’re thinking. Cory Gunz’ new leak Dope Game is about the dope game. Man are you wrong. Despite its title, Dope is a complex exploration of the role subprime mortgages played in the recession. No, of course it’s about the dope game. Actually, the latest effort from the Bronx native and son of the legendary Peter Gunz, traffics mainly not in cocaina but in raw rhymes. Behind the boards producers Pro and Dot (of Militia Gang) set down the kind of piano driven yet rugged beat that’s been a staple of east coast rap for decades, and on the mic Gunz responds more than capably, delving into the forces that helped shape him, from the corner hustlers to the corner rhymers: “All I knew was Mommy ain’t home / So a n**ga stood along…while Jimmy roll bones while Johnny rolled poems.” Whether you credit nature or nurture, Gunz’ lines are addictive on this one. For more never stepped on hip-hop, be sure to cop Cory’s upcoming mixtape, the punnily titled Bring Out the Gunz, when it drops on a yet-to-be-determined date.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Richer Than Richie" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.