Every bit as refreshing as regular Coolroy but with half the calories, up-and-coming emcee Coolroy (Lite) sets out to prove that the categories of “gentleman” and “gangster” are in no way mutually exclusive on his first Booth feature, unreleased cut GnG. Here, Pac Div member Like sets the mood with one of the smoothest beats I’ve heard in a good long while, blending jazzy piano chords and relaxed percussion as the West Coast representative gives us the lowdown on his multifaceted musical persona: “Classy over flashy, Gucci without the logo / and keep your mouth closed; talking to Johnnies is a no-no.” Packing his verses with enough witty wordplay and blasé braggadocio to justify several repeat spins, Coolroy handily accomplishes his mission of balancing streetwise grit with laid-back class. While GnG isn’t slated to appear on any forthcoming project, those digging this stylishly sunny jam can keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest from this rising star.
Written by richard on 04/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Time of My Life" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.