Every bit as refreshing as regular Coolroy but with half the calories, up-and-coming emcee Coolroy (Lite) sets out to prove that the categories of “gentleman” and “gangster” are in no way mutually exclusive on his first Booth feature, unreleased cut GnG. Here, Pac Div member Like sets the mood with one of the smoothest beats I’ve heard in a good long while, blending jazzy piano chords and relaxed percussion as the West Coast representative gives us the lowdown on his multifaceted musical persona: “Classy over flashy, Gucci without the logo / and keep your mouth closed; talking to Johnnies is a no-no.” Packing his verses with enough witty wordplay and blasé braggadocio to justify several repeat spins, Coolroy handily accomplishes his mission of balancing streetwise grit with laid-back class. While GnG isn’t slated to appear on any forthcoming project, those digging this stylishly sunny jam can keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest from this rising star.
Written by richard on 04/7/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Time of My Life" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.