On his last mixtape leak, Consequence took us back to the days when realness reigned supreme in the game, and he had to use a Fake I.D. to get into the local spot. A decade and change later, the Queens mainstay doesn’t even have to flash his driver’s license to get into the hottest venues – why? As the oh-so-consequential emcee puts it on his latest offering, “I’m V.I.P..” Drawing inspiration (and a chorus) from Biggie‘s ‘95 classic Big Poppa, beatsmith Lee Bannon lays down some head-noddably retro guitar-led boardwork as the G.O.O.D. emcee flexes his punchline muscles, lacing his bars with braggadocio and laid-back wit. Buzzmaking guests Diggy Simmons and Mac Miller follow suit, the former quipping, “You be actin’ like a monster, the Loch Ness monster, but you’re more like Antoine Dodson’s sister’s robber.” in his clever middle 16. Digging this midtempo banger? Fans will be able to hear Cons rock plenty more dope grooves later this months, when his long-awaited Movies on Demand 2 mixtape hits the ‘net for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
Submit your Rating
Band Camp Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.