I know what you’re thinking: aren’t Consequence and his cohorts a little old to need Fake I.D.s? While it has been a minute since the Queens vet had to enjoy his liquor illicitly, this new mixtape leak finds Cons addressing a topic slightly more pressing than booze: authenticity – specifically, the shameful lack of it in today’s game. Over The Produce Section‘s appropriately retro, Chipmunk-sampled beat, the rapper takes us back to an era when realness was more than just a word. With the help of Mobb Deep heavyweight Havoc, the headliner gives modern-day wannabes a sound thrashing, exposing such common practices as fibbing about one’s past, biting styles and hiring ghostwriters for what (he argues) they are: a betrayal of hip-hop’s roots. Though some may be bummed to hear Q-Tip and Large Professor, two vets who could undoubtedly drop some knowledge on the subject, confined to the hook, the record should nonetheless leave old-school heads nodding in agreement. For more fresh (and certifiably real) tunes, check out Cons’ long-awaited Movies on Demand 2 mixtape, due out “soon.”
Written by richard on 12/5/10
Submit your Rating
Band Camp Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)