I know what you’re thinking: aren’t Consequence and his cohorts a little old to need Fake I.D.s? While it has been a minute since the Queens vet had to enjoy his liquor illicitly, this new mixtape leak finds Cons addressing a topic slightly more pressing than booze: authenticity – specifically, the shameful lack of it in today’s game. Over The Produce Section‘s appropriately retro, Chipmunk-sampled beat, the rapper takes us back to an era when realness was more than just a word. With the help of Mobb Deep heavyweight Havoc, the headliner gives modern-day wannabes a sound thrashing, exposing such common practices as fibbing about one’s past, biting styles and hiring ghostwriters for what (he argues) they are: a betrayal of hip-hop’s roots. Though some may be bummed to hear Q-Tip and Large Professor, two vets who could undoubtedly drop some knowledge on the subject, confined to the hook, the record should nonetheless leave old-school heads nodding in agreement. For more fresh (and certifiably real) tunes, check out Cons’ long-awaited Movies on Demand 2 mixtape, due out “soon.”
Written by richard on 12/5/10
Submit your Rating
Band Camp Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.