When Connor Evans envisions his ideal future, his lifestyle isn’t that of a heavyweight rapper or even an earthly sovereign; like Kanye, he aspires to divinity. Of course, that entails more than just kicking it atop Mount Olympus, eating ambrosia and sipping nectar. On Livin’ Like We Gods, a new single off his latest street album, Evans emphasizes the all-consuming, often dangerous work involved in raising oneself to that lofty status. After spitting a couple verses about his recent hustle, he delivers a deeply personal 16 about his adolescent struggles with his weight, recalling a homie whose abuse of steroids led to his death. BHB backs his bars with bombastic brass fanfare and sizzling trap hi-hats. This illuminating jam is just one of many quality cuts to be found on The Roach to Coachella, released earlier this month for free streaming and download via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 07/29/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Life" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.