Having all but convinced Boothgoers that his ninth LP will be a classic, Common could just sit back and, I dunno, brush up on his Call of Duty skills till the project hits stores and heads inevitably descend upon it like sharks at a chum buffet. (Which, now that I’ve typed it out, is a pretty disgusting image.) Luckily for us, though, he’s decided to bless our eardrums with another quality leak off the project: namely The Believer, an anthemic jam which finds the Chi-town mainstay giving voice to the the striving of his people in the way only he knows how. No I.D. goes suitably big on the production tip, pairing a subdued choral backdrop with a shuffling breakbeat as the emcee delivers a poetically allusive commentary on the state of Black America: “That ain’t the way that Langston Hughes wrote us / Soul controllers on the shoulders of Moses and Noah. / We go from the oppressors to Oprah / Cultivated to overcome—emphasis, we came over.” John Legend echoes the headliner’s sentiment on his soaring hook, expressing his faith that “...our dreams won’t turn to dust.” Watch for The Dreamer, The Believer to arrive on store shelves Dec. 20, via Warner Bros./Think Common.
Written by richard on 12/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.