After keeping Common’s epically minded last single, Blue Sky, on repeat for the past few weeks I began to formulate a hypothesis about the Chi-Town emcee’s plans to make his upcoming album, The Dreamer, The Believer, an experimental, genre-busting album on the order of MBDTF. I should have known better than to think Common could so easily be figured out. As he reminds us on new single Sweet, the man can still smack a rapper in the face with a mic. Constant production companion No I.D. unleashes a beat that hits hard with just a touch of sweetness – it’s a cake filled with razor blades. On the mic Lonnie takes us back to the Resurrection days, firing off a torrent of rhymes aimed at putting any rapper who thinks Hollywood’s turned his rhyme skills soft back in their place: “How can I say this, fuck it I’m the greatest / I am the A-list for all these great debaters.” Honestly, it’s hard to argue with the man. I’m officially ridiculous-level excited about Dreamer/Believer, due to drop this December via Warner Bros. Until then enjoy, and remember, don’t get too Sweet.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.