After keeping Common’s epically minded last single, Blue Sky, on repeat for the past few weeks I began to formulate a hypothesis about the Chi-Town emcee’s plans to make his upcoming album, The Dreamer, The Believer, an experimental, genre-busting album on the order of MBDTF. I should have known better than to think Common could so easily be figured out. As he reminds us on new single Sweet, the man can still smack a rapper in the face with a mic. Constant production companion No I.D. unleashes a beat that hits hard with just a touch of sweetness – it’s a cake filled with razor blades. On the mic Lonnie takes us back to the Resurrection days, firing off a torrent of rhymes aimed at putting any rapper who thinks Hollywood’s turned his rhyme skills soft back in their place: “How can I say this, fuck it I’m the greatest / I am the A-list for all these great debaters.” Honestly, it’s hard to argue with the man. I’m officially ridiculous-level excited about Dreamer/Believer, due to drop this December via Warner Bros. Until then enjoy, and remember, don’t get too Sweet.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/2/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream ft. Will.I.Am" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)