After keeping Common’s epically minded last single, Blue Sky, on repeat for the past few weeks I began to formulate a hypothesis about the Chi-Town emcee’s plans to make his upcoming album, The Dreamer, The Believer, an experimental, genre-busting album on the order of MBDTF. I should have known better than to think Common could so easily be figured out. As he reminds us on new single Sweet, the man can still smack a rapper in the face with a mic. Constant production companion No I.D. unleashes a beat that hits hard with just a touch of sweetness – it’s a cake filled with razor blades. On the mic Lonnie takes us back to the Resurrection days, firing off a torrent of rhymes aimed at putting any rapper who thinks Hollywood’s turned his rhyme skills soft back in their place: “How can I say this, @*#$! it I’m the greatest / I am the A-list for all these great debaters.” Honestly, it’s hard to argue with the man. I’m officially ridiculous-level excited about Dreamer/Believer, due to drop this December via Warner Bros. Until then enjoy, and remember, don’t get too Sweet.
Think Common Music Inc./Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream ft. Will.I.Am" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.