Common has been building a slow, but steady momentum this fall as he preps the masses for the release of his ninth studio album The Dreamer/The Believer. Like a chef (not to be confused with Raekwon, of course) Com’s been seasoning the pot with small delights and whetting our palette with samples of what’s to come. With just one week left before his album is scheduled to drop, new single, Raw (How You Like It), seems to be his way of setting his concoction to boil so everything comes together just right. Joining Com in the kitchen is frequent production collaborator No I.D., whose boardwork contributions rarely disappoint. The savory guitar samples and a melodic hook contrast with Common’s edgy lyrics and delivery, but in the end you do get a sense of the rawness that the title of the song conveys. With the heavily anticipated release of new albums from The Roots and Amy Winehouse already making their mark as 2011 comes to a close, Common’s falling in line right on time to really close out the year with some truly high level hip-hop.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.