Certain combos are guaranteed winners: Milk and cereal. Warm weather and beaches. Common and No I.D. The renowned emcee and producer have paired up once again as a part of Gatorade’s Replay campaign, and they’re joined by fellow Chicagoans Jennifer Hudson and Lupe Fiasco. We Can Do It Now invokes Chicago’s blues roots with wailing guitar and harmonica riffs, while J. Hud delivers signature powerhouse vocals that would undoubtedly make Chicago blues queen Koko Taylor proud, Lupe and Mr. Sense are both as lyrically astute and smooth as always. With such a prolific trifecta on deck, it’s only right to expect an epic song to result from the collaboration. Unfortunately this record is far from epic, but it still it conveys the message of endurance and perseverance that Gatorade is known for, and sounds pretty dope, so I guess it serves its purpose in every respect. I wouldn’t mind hearing more from this group – imagine the possibilities of a Common/Lupe Fiasco/Jennifer Hudson project with production by No I.D. Take away the constraints of a national commercial marketing campaign, and “epic” couldn’t be far behind.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 10/26/10
Think Common Music Inc./Warner Bros.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream ft. Will.I.Am" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.