Certain combos are guaranteed winners: Milk and cereal. Warm weather and beaches. Common and No I.D. The renowned emcee and producer have paired up once again as a part of Gatorade’s Replay campaign, and they’re joined by fellow Chicagoans Jennifer Hudson and Lupe Fiasco. We Can Do It Now invokes Chicago’s blues roots with wailing guitar and harmonica riffs, while J. Hud delivers signature powerhouse vocals that would undoubtedly make Chicago blues queen Koko Taylor proud, Lupe and Mr. Sense are both as lyrically astute and smooth as always. With such a prolific trifecta on deck, it’s only right to expect an epic song to result from the collaboration. Unfortunately this record is far from epic, but it still it conveys the message of endurance and perseverance that Gatorade is known for, and sounds pretty dope, so I guess it serves its purpose in every respect. I wouldn’t mind hearing more from this group – imagine the possibilities of a Common/Lupe Fiasco/Jennifer Hudson project with production by No I.D. Take away the constraints of a national commercial marketing campaign, and “epic” couldn’t be far behind.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 10/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream ft. Will.I.Am" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.