Booth readers already know Colin Munroe as an up-and-comer with an unconventional take on pop songwriting, but this latest feature may be his quirkiest—and most intriguing—yet. Originally featured on his Unsung Hero mixtape (available for free download here) and currently being promoted as the latest single off his debut album, the cut finds Munroe looking back to his childhood, wondering if he should have stuck with those Piano Lessons, but more striking than the story being told is the record’s sound—Detroit emcee/producer Black Milk‘s pretty,meandering piano backdrop doesn’t seem like it should add up to a catchy tune, but, with the help of Munroe’s melody (and some compellingly strange vocal effects on the verses), it most definitely does. Similarly, you’d think a rapped guest verse would sound a little out of place here, but Joell Ortiz’ description of a devoted piano student’s musical progress ends the song on a strong note. Don’t Think Less Of Me drops later this year, and fans can currently catch Munroe as the opener on Wale‘s nationwide tour.
Written by richard on 04/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Will I Stay (Remix) ft. Wale & Dallas Austin" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.