Booth readers already know Colin Munroe as an up-and-comer with an unconventional take on pop songwriting, but this latest feature may be his quirkiest—and most intriguing—yet. Originally featured on his Unsung Hero mixtape (available for free download here) and currently being promoted as the latest single off his debut album, the cut finds Munroe looking back to his childhood, wondering if he should have stuck with those Piano Lessons, but more striking than the story being told is the record’s sound—Detroit emcee/producer Black Milk‘s pretty,meandering piano backdrop doesn’t seem like it should add up to a catchy tune, but, with the help of Munroe’s melody (and some compellingly strange vocal effects on the verses), it most definitely does. Similarly, you’d think a rapped guest verse would sound a little out of place here, but Joell Ortiz’ description of a devoted piano student’s musical progress ends the song on a strong note. Don’t Think Less Of Me drops later this year, and fans can currently catch Munroe as the opener on Wale‘s nationwide tour.
Written by richard on 04/8/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Will I Stay (Remix) ft. Wale & Dallas Austin" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.