If you happen to run into Common in the street, think twice before shaking his hand—the man’s so hot right now, your skin would probably blister on contact. Though listeners have barely had a chance to collect the lower jawbones dropped as a result of Blue Sky, the fantastically dope second single off his forthcoming ninth LP, the Chi-town mainstay’s already back with a whole damn EP’s worth of new material under the Cocaine 80s banner. The latest leak off the project, Six, finds production partner No I.D. doing his thing behind the boards, blending a rolling breakbeat, delicate ivory-tinkling and overdriven Casio-esque bells into a subtly-textured backdrop for Common’s equally complex bars, which find him paying poetically bittersweet tribute to a woman from his past—or could she be hip-hop personified? Even if you, like yours truly, can’t quite tell, the emcee packs his verses with more than enough clever lines to keep things entertaining, and Over‘s poignant chorus is just icing on the proverbial cake. Need more Common, No I.D., & co. in your life? Cocaine 80s’ Ghost Lady EP is out now online, and Common’s next album, The Dreamer, The Believer, is set to follow in December.
Written by richard on 10/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Have a Dream" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.