Don’t let the stage name fool you. While Co$$ does love his greenbacks, what he truly seeks has no price tag; as he puts it on his latest single, “All I ever wanted to be was Free.” Here, a soulful, string-laced beat by Numonics (producer of the entire project) serves as backdrop for Co$$’ reflections on the nature of freedom, and the many obstacles that stand in the way of those who wish to attain it. After pondering whether religion leads people to enlightenment or simply strengthens their mental chains, the emcee turns his gaze on the music industry, addressing the difficulty of keeping his priorities straight as he strives for success: “Runnin’ from stress, don’t give a f*ck about who wears the crown runnin’ the West / or them hoes that you f*ck, clothes that you rock…” Judging by the thoughtful rhymes Co$$ delivers here (not to mention the quality production), collaborative street album Revelations seems destined to live up to its name when it drops on October 21. Fans in the Miami area can catch Co$$, along with fellow Booth regulars Sene and Blu at the release party, going down that evening at the Transit Lounge!
Written by richard on 10/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Time Is Now" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.