Unless you’re a loyal fan or you’ve got his collab with Goapele on constant repeat in the crib, like yours truly, chances are you haven’t heard from Clyde Carson in a minute (his last Booth feature, I’m Lost, was way back in ’09). Even so, don’t call new single Somethin’ to Speak About a comeback, he’s been here for years. Setting the stage is Scoop Deville, who crafts a brilliantly understated, soul-sampled beat as relaxed as a Sunday morning. Matching the beat’s quality on the mic are Game, who delivers the kind of well crafted verse I was left wanting on Purp & Patron, and the headliner, who lays down some deeply personal lyrics detailing his life’s joys and struggles: “Look into my eyes, ain’t too much I ain’t seen / except death and the penitentiary gates.” Add in some sweet vocals from female crooner Jimmie Reign and you’ve got the smooth rider of the week. For more from Mr. Carson be sure to cop his upcoming EP of the same name, Somethin’ to Speak About, “coming soon.”
Written by Nathan S. on 02/28/11
Submit your Rating
Moe Doe Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doin' That ft. Sean Kingston" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.