An experimental alternative-rock outfit hailing from Atlanta, Cloudeater have made a name for themselves by stretching genre boundaries. Having pioneered a sound that infuses the adventurous soundscapes of The Flaming Lips, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails with hip-hop beats, the crew are now expanding their horizons yet further by throwing collaborators from the rap game into the mix. Premiered earlier today on Life + Times, new single Faces finds Sam Drew, Chris Hunt, Nolan Kramer, Daniel Friedman and Trevor Flanders linking up with Wale to craft one of the more unique aural concoctions I’ve encountered in a minute. Over the crew’s intricate instrumental, a cataclysmic yet controlled mix of guitar distortion, choral synths and heavily-syncopated percussion, the Maybach Music heavyweight mounts a lyrical assault on the rest of the game, tossing aside the luxury-rap trappings of his recent work in favor of a leaner, hungrier approach. (Too bad his rhymes occasionally get lost in the densely-packed beat). Feeling it? While the album to which this eclectically fresh banger will be attached has yet to receive either a title or a solid drop date, those who like what they’re hearing can keep it locked for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 06/13/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)