One of the most frequently-cited rules of writing is to “show, not tell.” In the more swagger-centric worlds of rap and professional sports, on the other hand, doing a little (or a lot of) telling along with your showing isn’t just accepted, it’s essential. Thus, it’s only right that the latest buzz record from Clinton Sparks, released in honor of NBA All-Star weekend, finds the heavyweight DJ-turned-artist and hip-hop mogul Diddy tooting their own horns at max volume, making sure all within earshot know that they’re now Rockin’ With the Best. Over his and DJ Snake‘s synth-sizzling four-on-the-floor boardwork, Sparks indulges in a downright epic bout of sung-rapped stunting, stopping only to voice his approval of a female clubgoer’s dance moves. Sean Combs contributes a simple but effective shouted hook, and concludes the record with a helpful summary of what came before: “He is Clinton Sparks. They call me Diddy. We ARE the best!” So readers, are you digging Clinton Sparks as a solo artist? This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any project, but fans should stay tuned for release details on his forthcoming Interscope debut album.
Written by richard on 02/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dumb Hyphy" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.