One of the most frequently-cited rules of writing is to “show, not tell.” In the more swagger-centric worlds of rap and professional sports, on the other hand, doing a little (or a lot of) telling along with your showing isn’t just accepted, it’s essential. Thus, it’s only right that the latest buzz record from Clinton Sparks, released in honor of NBA All-Star weekend, finds the heavyweight DJ-turned-artist and hip-hop mogul Diddy tooting their own horns at max volume, making sure all within earshot know that they’re now Rockin’ With the Best. Over his and DJ Snake‘s synth-sizzling four-on-the-floor boardwork, Sparks indulges in a downright epic bout of sung-rapped stunting, stopping only to voice his approval of a female clubgoer’s dance moves. Sean Combs contributes a simple but effective shouted hook, and concludes the record with a helpful summary of what came before: “He is Clinton Sparks. They call me Diddy. We ARE the best!” So readers, are you digging Clinton Sparks as a solo artist? This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any project, but fans should stay tuned for release details on his forthcoming Interscope debut album.
Written by richard on 02/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dumb Hyphy" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.