One of the most frequently-cited rules of writing is to “show, not tell.” In the more swagger-centric worlds of rap and professional sports, on the other hand, doing a little (or a lot of) telling along with your showing isn’t just accepted, it’s essential. Thus, it’s only right that the latest buzz record from Clinton Sparks, released in honor of NBA All-Star weekend, finds the heavyweight DJ-turned-artist and hip-hop mogul Diddy tooting their own horns at max volume, making sure all within earshot know that they’re now Rockin’ With the Best. Over his and DJ Snake‘s synth-sizzling four-on-the-floor boardwork, Sparks indulges in a downright epic bout of sung-rapped stunting, stopping only to voice his approval of a female clubgoer’s dance moves. Sean Combs contributes a simple but effective shouted hook, and concludes the record with a helpful summary of what came before: “He is Clinton Sparks. They call me Diddy. We ARE the best!” So readers, are you digging Clinton Sparks as a solo artist? This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any project, but fans should stay tuned for release details on his forthcoming Interscope debut album.
Written by richard on 02/21/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sorry, Blame It On Me" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)