Is it just me, or does the latest single from Classified sound a little bit… Familiar. But totally new, at the same time? The follow-up to November’s Inner Ninja, the latest release off the North of the Border vet’s self-titled studio album is an invigorating mix of the retro and the progressive. Over his own synth-fortified boom-bap production, featuring cuts by DJ IV, the Nova Scotian rhymesayer challenges his peers in the game to break out of the stale status quo and get back to making classic jams. Mic Boyd, Class’ younger brother, assists on the guest tip, and an unknown auteur directs the joint’s minimal, stylish official visuals. For more, check out Classified (the album) when it drops January 22 via Half Life Records/Universal Canada.
Written by richard on 12/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Call This Hip Hop ft. Royce Da 5'9" & Bobby Ray (B.o.B)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “Chicago vs. Everybody?”
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.