Whether you’re a single mother trying to raise a son or daughter while working two jobs and attending college, or a rich rapper who has to pay massive child support bills, It Ain’t Easy to get by in today’s economic climate (OK, somewhat moreso in the former case than the latter, but I digress). Booth newcomer CJ Hilton can relate. For his debut single, the J Records singer/producer goes the “recession music” route, serving up a head-noddable, piano-driven instrumental as he offers encouragement to anyone struggling to make a dime. The Baltimore native’s vocal appeal is undeniable, and his message is even harder to argue with: “Hold your head high, let ‘em see your crown / Do your own thing, don’t let nothing hold you down.” Digging this motivational jam? Keep it locked – CJ Hilton’s currently-untitled freshman full-length has yet to receive a release date from the label brass, but we’ll keep you supplied with all the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 05/9/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.