On a recently-featured standout off his Summer Knights LP, Joey BadA$$ declared the Death of YOLO. When I saw the title of CJ Fly‘s latest promo single and solo debut feature, Still the Motto, I took it to mean that he was overturning his fellow PRO.ERA affiliate’s proclamation and resurrecting Drizzy‘s (in)famous mantra. As it turns out, though, the slogan to which the NYC buzzmaker remains loyal is a little more classic: “F**k tha police.” A jazzy, head-noddable Cookin’ Soul production sets the mood as CJ emphasizes his mic skills, his sexual prolificacy, and his enduring distaste for all things pork-related in agile, tightly-wound verses. Feeling it? Still the Motto is not attached to any forthcoming project, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest from CJ Fly in the weeks and months ahead.
Written by richard on 07/11/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.