On a recently-featured standout off his Summer Knights LP, Joey BadA$$ declared the Death of YOLO. When I saw the title of CJ Fly‘s latest promo single and solo debut feature, Still the Motto, I took it to mean that he was overturning his fellow PRO.ERA affiliate’s proclamation and resurrecting Drizzy‘s (in)famous mantra. As it turns out, though, the slogan to which the NYC buzzmaker remains loyal is a little more classic: “F**k tha police.” A jazzy, head-noddable Cookin’ Soul production sets the mood as CJ emphasizes his mic skills, his sexual prolificacy, and his enduring distaste for all things pork-related in agile, tightly-wound verses. Feeling it? Still the Motto is not attached to any forthcoming project, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest from CJ Fly in the weeks and months ahead.
Written by richard on 07/11/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)