In the 5th century AD, Augustine of Hippo wrote the book The City of God, which focused on the conflict between society’s obsession with fame and fortune and the true standards of goodness and quality. Some 1600 years later, an underground alt-pop group has adopted the name. Foregoing major control for creative freedom, the City of God collective released their debut album, Rebirth of Swag, this past August, to little mainstream fanfare. Together with producer Matt LaPlant, “spacebois” Smalls, Industry, Rocko, Tiago, and “spacegurl” Tata put together a laid-back ballad about spotting someone special at their favorite hangout. While the preceding topical explanation is perhaps the most overused song setup found in the Booth, the overall feel is so fresh that it might make listeners want to Fly Away.
Written by Burmy on 10/8/08
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.