In the 5th century AD, Augustine of Hippo wrote the book The City of God, which focused on the conflict between society’s obsession with fame and fortune and the true standards of goodness and quality. Some 1600 years later, an underground alt-pop group has adopted the name. Foregoing major control for creative freedom, the City of God collective released their debut album, Rebirth of Swag, this past August, to little mainstream fanfare. Together with producer Matt LaPlant, “spacebois” Smalls, Industry, Rocko, Tiago, and “spacegurl” Tata put together a laid-back ballad about spotting someone special at their favorite hangout. While the preceding topical explanation is perhaps the most overused song setup found in the Booth, the overall feel is so fresh that it might make listeners want to Fly Away.
Written by Burmy on 10/8/08
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Childish Gambino - STN MTN
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.