If you’re like me, you came up in a household where use of the word ”Gimme” would not only not get you what you wanted, but was likely to earn you a slap on the rear. Then again, “Could I please have that bass?” doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as easily as the title phrase of Ciara‘s latest feature and potential single. Like the album’s Luda-assisted lead single, this cut will sound right at home in the club; in contrast to Ride‘s sensual vibe, though, Gimme Dat is all about energy. Here, beatsmith Soundz delivers an uptempo blend of lightly-syncopated percussion, synths and vocal samples as CiCi announces her triumphant return to our speakers, and fills us in on just how much she enjoys a nice, booming bassline – and I mean she really enjoys it. So, is Gimmie Dat single material? I’ll let Booth readers weigh in on that one. In any case, fans will be able to find plenty more body-moving grooves (complete with all the bass your subwoofers can handle) on Basic Instinct, due out August 17, via LaFace/Zomba.
Written by richard on 07/18/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)