In the world of commercial hip-hop and R&B, the artists who sell the most records are typically those who find a successful formula for their music and stick to it. In March of ’05, Ciara saw her Ludacris-assisted single, Oh, rise to platinum certification. Three and a half years later, it should come as no surprise to her fans that High Price, the potential lead single off her third album, Fantasy Ride, sounds suspiciously like it. Ludacris once again shows up for a brief guest verse, while producer Tricky Stewart (best known for his work on Rihanna’s Umbrella) lays down a Crunk&B beat remarkably similar to Oh’s. To Ciara’s credit, her delivery takes on a unique, opera-like approach that will likely piss off her hardcore fans. Consider it a lesson learned, Ciara: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/30/08
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.