This June, underground emcee Wordsmith and industry vet Chubb Rock plan to drop a collaborative album called Bridging the Gap; in the meantime, the duo are looking to heighten listener anticipation by releasing promo records that will not be available on the album proper, but will be collected on a forthcoming mixtape called A Crack in the Bridge. The “gap” the twosome are looking to bridge is, of course, the metaphorical chasm that separates old and new-school hip-hop, and the newly-released Back In will give listeners a good idea of how they plan to accomplish this feat—while Strada‘s relaxed boardwork and Kimia Collins’ soulful hook give the cut a nostalgic vibe, the two emcees bring distinct brands of lyrical freshness to the table, Chubb channeling his commanding rasp into compellingly freeform rhymes, and Word showcasing his skills as a storyteller. If the duo’s unique blend of old and new has your interest piqued, watch for more promo cuts in the near future.
Listen to More: Wordsmith
Written by richard on 02/26/09
Nu Revolution Ent. LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Judged in Da Cipha ft. RhymeZwell & Black Knight" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.