This June, underground emcee Wordsmith and industry vet Chubb Rock plan to drop a collaborative album called Bridging the Gap; in the meantime, the duo are looking to heighten listener anticipation by releasing promo records that will not be available on the album proper, but will be collected on a forthcoming mixtape called A Crack in the Bridge. The “gap” the twosome are looking to bridge is, of course, the metaphorical chasm that separates old and new-school hip-hop, and the newly-released Back In will give listeners a good idea of how they plan to accomplish this feat—while Strada‘s relaxed boardwork and Kimia Collins’ soulful hook give the cut a nostalgic vibe, the two emcees bring distinct brands of lyrical freshness to the table, Chubb channeling his commanding rasp into compellingly freeform rhymes, and Word showcasing his skills as a storyteller. If the duo’s unique blend of old and new has your interest piqued, watch for more promo cuts in the near future.
Listen to More: Wordsmith
Written by richard on 02/26/09
Nu Revolution Ent. LLC.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Judged in Da Cipha ft. RhymeZwell & Black Knight" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)