From the scarily precocious, 17-year-old Earl Sweatshirt to 15-year-old Booth fave Gameboi, it’s starting to seem like prodigiously talented teen rappers have formed a conspiracy to make me feel old. (I turn 23 tomorrow, and have yet to cut a single rap record.) In furtherance of this trend, I’m proud to introduce up-and-coming duo Chrome Cats, making their Booth debut with the world premiere of mixtape inclusion Catch Me. On this breezy underground banger, beatsmith Sir C sets a wistfully determined mood behind the boards, layering woozy synths over a clattering breakbeat as Korland “KJ” Sims (17) rocks the mic, expressing his drive to achieve musical greatness in bars laced with poetic turns of phrase “...I intertwine with mind to generate the grind and out comes the shine.” Sister Jamilia Sims (14) turns in an equally impressive performance, showcasing her vocal chops on a tunefully fresh hook. Think Chrome Cats are going places? Then don’t miss the Vallejo representatives’ Flight to Paradise street album when it hits the ‘net in late October/early November.
Written by richard on 09/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.